OSHA's Impact in 1997
Do you expect significant OSHA action on these standards in 1997?
|Safety and health program requirements||44%||56%|
|Updated permissible exposure limits||40%||60%|
|Indoor air quality and/or workplace smoking||47%||53%|
OSHA field inspections have dropped to record lows in the past 2 years. What are your expectations for OSHA enforcement activity in 1997?
- Increase: 15%
- Continue to decrease: 41%
- Remain the same: 44%
In the absence of Joe Dear, will reinvention (more consultation, less antagonism) continue to be a major policy theme at OSHA?
- Yes: 40%
- No: 11%
- Maybe: 49%
Does OSHA in 1997 have more or less influence on industry's attitudes and actions regarding job safety than it did in 1987?
- More influence: 36%
- Less influence: 38%
- About the same: 26%
Circle any of the following statements you believe to be true:
- The Republican Congress has basically neutered OSHA: 32%
- OSHA compliance is not a "hot button" issue with safety and health pros: 15%
- Industry no longer needs strong OSHA enforcement: 28%
- It's impossible to change the enforcement culture at OSHA: 19%
- OSHA's lower profile is hurting the level of workplace safety and health performance: 30%