Leading causes of job injuries
- Overexertion — too much lifting, pushing, pulling, holding, carrying or throwing of an object
- Falls on the same level
- Bending, climbing, loss of balance, slipping without falling
- Falls to a lower level
- Struck by an object — tool falls on a worker’s head, etc.
- Repetitive motion
- Highway crashes
- Struck against an object — carpenter walks into a door frame, etc.
- Caught in or compressed by equipment
- Temperature extremes — leading to heat exhaustion, frost bite, burns, etc.
Source: Liberty Mutual Workplace Safety Index, which ranks causes based on directly-related workers’ comp costs.