NIOSH releases Prevention Through Design (PtD) Plan
- Research to establish the value of already-adopted PtD interventions, address existing design-related challenges, and suggest areas for future examination.
- Education to help designers, engineers, employers, and others to understand and apply PtD methods.
- Practice of PtD through accessing, sharing, and applying successful strategies.
- Policy initiatives to encourage and endorse a culture that includes PtD principles in all designs affecting worker safety and health.
- A small-business focus to tailor and diffuse successful PtD programs and practices to the needs of small employers.
PtD describes intermediate goals for each focus area which represent steps through which progress toward each goal can be achieved and measured. It also includes four case studies in which PtD was a principle behind successful safety and health partnerships. Additional information on PtD can be found at www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/PtD/. NIOSH is the federal agency that conducts research and makes recommendations for preventing job-related injuries, illnesses, and deaths. More information about NIOSH is available at www.cdc.gov/niosh.