Amputation leads to a dozen violations at well-known glassmaker
An OSHA investigation undertaken after a maintenance employee at Anchor Hocking in Lancaster, Ohio suffered an amputation found that workers had not been trained in recommended “lockout/tagout” procedures for isolating the energy sources of machines to prevent their accidental operation.
The company faces $113,800 in fines for that and 11 other safety violations.
The worker was performing maintenance when his right index finger became caught in the sleeve of the glass former press stem and was amputated.
OSHA’s Columbus-area director, Deborah Zubaty, said the incident showed that failing to train employees in lockout/tagout procedures can have “terrible consequences.”
The company was also cited for annually inspecting lockout/tagout procedures and exposing employees to falls from an open-sided work platform, as well failing to affix locks to hold isolation devices in the safe or "off" position, failing to protect workers from falls due to floor holes and using flexible cords as a substitute for fixed wiring.
Other-than-serious violations cited included failing to maintain logs of work-related injuries and illnesses and to record an injury within seven days of notification.