In the agricultural industry, excessive dust is a fuel that can cause serious and sometimes deadly explosions and fires - as was the case at a Georgia chicken feed mill where an explosion killed a 25-year-old man and injured five others in February 2016, federal workplace safety inspectors have found.
VAC-U-MAX announces exhibition at the 32ndt Annual International Fuel Ethanol Workshop & Expo that will be held June 20-23 at the Wisconsin Convention Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, exhibiting the latest advancements in industrial vacuum cleaning. Equipment on display includes the MDL 1020MFS Continuous-Duty Industrial Vacuum, Model 40008 Portable Industrial Vacuum for fine, dusty powder applications, and the venturi-driven TK-05, ideal for liquid recovery.
A maintenance technician at a Georgia auto parts manufacturing company was engulfed in flames when the dust collector he was operating caused an explosion. The 33-year-old worker is still recovering from the third-degree burns on his upper body he received during the September 23, 2015 incident at Nakanishi Manufacturing Corp. in Winterville, Ga.
Workers at a Purina feed mill were exposed to 6 – 10 foot falls from ladderway floor openings and platforms lacking guardrails, OSHA investigators found during an October 2015 inspection of the Wichita, Kansas facility.
When engineering control measures aren’t possible or sufficient to reduce exposure to harmful contaminants such as dusts, fogs, fumes, mists, gases, smokes, sprays, or vapors, OSHA requires – through its 1910.134 standard1 – that workers be provided with respiratory protection.