Facility Safety

Deadly Tesoro refinery blast caused by high temp “hydrogen attack”

CSB IDs a “deficient refinery safety culture”
January 30, 2014

The April 2010 fatal explosion and fire at the Tesoro refinery in Anacortes, Washington was caused by damage to the heat exchanger, a mechanism known as “high temperature hydrogen attack” or HTHA, which severely cracked and weakened carbon steel tubing leading to a rupture, according to a CSB draft report released today.

Read More

The wrong word

January 30, 2014
For 21 years now, I have been working on a safer workplace, I have worked with many great companies, safety folks, safety organizations, government agencies, workplaces large and small and some very dedicated folks.

Read More

Nurses’ terminations allegedly for exposing patient safety issues

Community Health Systems already under injunctions for previous firings
January 29, 2014

Two nurses fired recently by Community Health Systems (CHS) say they were terminated for speaking out about rampant patient safety problems at the chain’s healthcare facilities. RNs Veronica Poss and Tim Thomas have been prominent RN public advocates at their respective hospitals in exposing what they describe as serious problems with patient safety, and calling for improvements.

Read More

Vinyl acetate hazards get Connecticut manufacturer PSM citations

Issues ID’d in 2012 report still not resolved
January 24, 2014

OSHA has cited StanChem Inc. for 13 serious violations of workplace safety standards at its East Berlin, Conn., manufacturing plant. The manufacturer of specialty coatings and polymers faces a total of $55,300 in proposed fines following an inspection by OSHA's Hartford Area Office.

Read More

Non-electrical EXIT Signs glow in the dark

January 23, 2014

Photoluminescent Exit Signs are non-electrical and non-radioactive. The signs are listed for high-location and floor proximity installation. Charged by 5 foot candles (54 Lux) of ambient lighting, they release their Code compliant luminance, should building lighting fail (power outages, natural disaster, building fire with smoke).

Read More

Worker killed in 40’ fall at Missouri feed company

A “terrible” tragedy
January 23, 2014

MFA Inc. has been cited for 13 serious safety violations by OSHA after a worker was fatally injured on Aug. 26 at the Aurora-based milling plant. The worker landed on a first floor concrete area after falling about 40 feet from a man lift used to transport materials in the facility.

Read More

Explosions in Neb., Okla. leave four workers dead, 11 injured

Causes unknown
January 21, 2014

In a scene eerily reminiscent of last year’s garment factory collapse in Bangladesh, the second and third floors of a Nebraska animal feed processing plant collapsed onto the first Monday, killing two workers and seriously injuring ten more.

Read More

Ruling in fatal Sago Mine explosion overturned

Company waited 1 1/2 hours to contact mine rescue team leader
January 21, 2014

The Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission has overturned a decision by an administrative law judge involving Wolf Run Mining Co.'s Sago Mine in Upshur County, W.Va., where 12 miners died in a massive explosion on Jan. 2, 2006.

Read More

MSHA implements Upper Big Branch corrective actions on schedule

Changes sprang from internal review
January 20, 2014

The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) announced that it met the deadline for making changes recommended after the deadly April 2010 Upper Big Branch (UBB) mine tragedy.

Read More

Top products of the week

Industrial lighting, noise monitor
January 19, 2014

A portable noise monitor and an explosion proof LED wall pack light fixture are this week’s top EHS-related products as featured on ISHN.com:

Read More

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

ASSE's Safety 2013 Review

A photo gallery from the Las Vegas Convention Center, where ASSE’s annual professional development conference was held June 24 to 27. All photos courtesy of the American Society of Safety Engineers.

THE MAGAZINE

ISHN Magazine

ishn april 2014 issue cover

2014 April

In this month's issue of ISHN, check out features about safety in the oil and gas industry.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - January 2014

ISHN0114_FDO_cov.jpgFor Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THEJANUAYR 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.