A company hired to restore the concrete finish on high-rise apartment buildings exposed its workers to falls of more than 200 feet due to scaffolding that was improperly assembled and secured to the building, according to OSHA.
Agency head reviews achievements, challenges at "all-hands" meeting
March 25, 2015
Good afternoon. It is my pleasure to be here with you today to take stock of where we've been as an agency over the past year and where we want to go together this year. I know that every one of you wants to lead a consequential life. That's why you came to work at OSHA. And you've succeeded.
OSHA inspectors driving by a construction worksite on Oct. 20, 2014 observed roofers working without fall protection. During the inspection that followed, the agency found that Franco Roofing, Inc. of Yonkers was cited for similar fall hazard violations in June of 2011 and then again in July of 2012, for worksites located in Yonkers, New York, and Greenwich, Connecticut.
A workplace fatality that brought attention to the issue of crowd control in the retail industry appears to be – finally – headed toward a resolution, after Walmart recently withdrew its appeal of a $7,000 OSHA fine over the incident.
Kansas City, Missouri, store receives 11 violations
March 23, 2015
A worker alleging the existence of asbestos, mold and hygiene hazards led to an inspection of an Advance Auto Parts store in Kansas City, where OSHA found one repeated and 10 serious safety and health violations with fines of $60,000.
A 58-year-old maintenance worker was killed after he was pinned between a scrap metal table and a railing at Hussmann Corp.'s Bridgeton facility, an OSHA investigation found. The agency said the company failed to prevent the table from lowering unintentionally*.
Customs agents and workers at two FedEx facilities were exposed to hazardous materials in three separate incidents last year because the companies shipping the toxins failed to label and package them properly.
Two temporary workers injured in an explosion at Polychem Services Inc., were unable to return to work for months after being hospitalized with first- and second-degree burns after their work site was ignited by a gas-powered forklift.