A teenaged worker at an outdoor amusement park was burned after collapsing near a food stand fryer from excessive heat on June 9, 2014. An OSHA investigation into the incident found that seasonally-employed workers, mostly teen employees, hired as outdoor and food stand staff at Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom in Allentown, Pa. were exposed to heat hazards during their summer employment.
Dangerous fumes kill two workers at Agridyne in Pekin, Illinois
January 14, 2015
A 37-year-old worker at Agridyne's Pekin facility climbed down into a rail car to clean out corn steep residue and was overcome by dangerous hydrogen sulfide gas. A 29-year-old tank inspector, who attempted to rescue the first worker, succumbed to the gas exposure as well. Neither worker made it out of the car alive.
A 25-year-old working on a six-story residential project at Florida State University died after being struck and crushed by a material/personnel elevator carriage not enclosed on all four sides. After an investigation of the July 28, 2014 fatality, OSHA found that Miller's Plumbing and Mechanical Inc. allowed a window-frame opening in a building under construction to be uncovered, thus exposing workers to the hazard of being struck and crushed by the elevator carriage as it passed within inches of the opening.
The ability to report severe injuries online in order to comply with updates to OSHA’s recordkeeping rule that went into effect Jan. 1st will not be available until mid-January, according to the agency. “The electronic form is currently under development,” according to a statement from OSHA.
After a Graphic Packaging International Inc. employee suffered a severe injury in June 2014 when the worker's hand was caught in a moving printing press, OSHA cited the West Monroe, Louisiana company for 28 safety violations. Proposed penalties total $129,000.
During the past two years, two prisoners on a work-release program suffered permanent lung damage while other employees at the Fiberdome Inc.’s Lake Mills fiberglass manufacturing plant in Lake Mills, WI, plant were exposed to harmful levels of chemicals, dust and noise, according to reports released by OSHA.
While renovating an Evanston, Ill. Middle school, workers from six separate companies were exposed to asbestos, lead and electrical hazards, according to OSHA, which inspected the site after receiving a complaint. Staff and students were on summer break during the July 2014 inspection..
OSHA in December, 2014, cited Republic Metals Inc. in Cleveland for 19 alleged serious health and safety violations, including exposure to lead and copper fumes. The proposed penalties are $42,800, the administration said in a news release Thursday, Dec. 18.
In the past eight years, Proframing Contractors Inc. was cited for 10 violations when it allowed employees to work on roofs without fall protection and then refused to pay the majority of its associated penalties from OSHA.