Co-worker has similar injury one year earlier on same machine
May 5, 2016
Just one year after a worker amputated part of her right index finger on a spot welding machine at an Osceola, Wisconsin, metal stamping plant, a 19-year-old female co-worker suffered a similar injury on the same machine. OSHA inspectors found that her employer failed to implement safety procedures they agreed upon to protect workers from machine operating parts.
A leading supplier of frozen specialty foods is facing more than $172,000 in OSHA fines after two workers at its Salina, Kansas, facility suffered amputations in separate incidents and a third suffered lacerations and burns.
Publix Supermarkets Inc. was cited OSHA for 16 safety and health violations at its Jacksonville, Florida distribution facility after receiving a complaint that a worker's hand was amputated while cleaning conveyor equipment. Proposed penalties totalled $182,000.
An employee of a Massachusetts gutter cleaning company was working on a rooftop Nov. 29, 2015 when he fell, first striking a lower roof 11 feet below his original location, then falling another 15 to the ground.
OSHA issued citations to Alabama-based Stephens Plumbing for one willful and four serious safety violations. The agency initiated the inspection as part of its National Emphasis Program on Trenching and Excavation after an inspector saw workers in a trench without protection.
A machine operator who suffered fatal injuries as he serviced a high-speed conveyor belt in a Ladysmith paper mill in October 2015 might still be alive if his employer had ensured that equipment was powered down and locked out before the 46-year-old man entered the hazardous area.
The failure of an air-conditioning unit pipe released about 22 pounds of anhydrous ammonia into the air at the Russel Stover Candies Inc.’s Iola, Kansas facility on Sept. 23, 2015, setting off alarms and sending hundreds of workers scrambling for safety.