A simple task for an employee at Wegmans Food Market Inc.’s commercial bakery in Rochester instead resulted in a needless and severe injury. As the worker cleaned an operating conveyor belt and roller on Dec. 16, 2015, her hand was caught between the belt and the roller and the machine pulled it in.
This Monday session will describe and illustrate how NFPA 652 addresses combustible dust hazards, and how it works within the current structure of the existing NFPA combustible dust standards. How NFPA 652 relates to the current OSHA combustible dust enforcement activities will also be discussed.
A key issues roundtable discussion Monday afternoon will address how to manage OSH risk and business polarities when there are competing priorities. Too often high visibility incidents cause organizations to switch into “fire-fighting” mode rather than executing their strategy.
A 27-year-old laborer lost his life ended suddenly because his employer failed to have a competent person inspect the rail supporting a scaffold system nearly 80 feet off the ground for visible defects, an investigation by OSHA has found.
Salvatore Schirripa, a Bensonhurst, N.Y., construction company owner, has been indicted on manslaughter and other charges following the April 2015 death of Vidal Sanchez-Ramon, his employee at a Coney Island work site. If convicted, he faces up to 15 years in prison.
One day in April, 2016, the parking brake on one of Flavio Borges Prado’s trucks failed, causing the vehicle to roll down a hill and collide into a residential housing structure, injuring the driver and causing significant damages to the property.
Ashley Furniture, the nation's largest retailer of home furnishings, has entered into a corporate-wide settlement agreement with OSHA designed to protect workers from machine hazards.
Under the settlement, Ashley will implement a number of safety measures to protect its employees and will submit status reports to OSHA annually during the two-year term of the agreement.
Steel manufacturer faces $147K in fines for "avoidable" hazards
June 15, 2016
An electric technician at the Republic Steel Corp. steel manufacturing plant in Blasdell, NY was removing wiring from a fan motor in an overhead crane on October 16, 2014, when an ungrounded electrical conductor touched a grounded surface, causing an arc flash. The electric technician sustained third degree burns on her hand and first degree burns on her face.