Safety Culture

Who “owns” EHS risk management?

New standards will revolutionize best practices
December 5, 2011
ANSI/ASSE Z690.2-2011 (Risk Management – Principles and Guidelines) and its companion standards, Vocabulary for Risk Management and Risk Assessment Techniques, were approved earlier this year.

Read More

Seven crucial leadership skills

Extend your influence beyond technical issues
December 5, 2011
For all the talk about leadership in safety these days, just what are leadership’s core competencies?

Read More

Does industry value safety?

We’ll find out in the next five years
December 5, 2011
A recent study by NIOSH examines the demographics of the occupational health and safety field.

Read More

Corporations are people

November 30, 2011

I worked for a large corporation in safety for 27 years. When I was selected to move into safety from engineering, I did not interview with a warehouse or a chemical processing unit. It was people. 

Read More

AIHA® announces open comment period for ANSI Z10 standard

Comments accepted until January 9, 2012
November 28, 2011

The updated standard that defines minimum performance requirements for occupational health and safety management
systems (OHSMS) is now open for comment, according to the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA).

Read More

Has science lost its power of persuasion?

November 16, 2011

I am not a curmudgeon, but since Andy Rooney is no longer with us to continue his long-time “60 Minutes” tradition, I thought I would take a crack at being one…

Read More

The Penn State scandal: Eyes wide open

November 16, 2011

The term willful blindness refers to an individual who could have known the facts of a situation, and should have known the facts, but deliberately blinded himself to the existence of the facts.

Read More

The Culture of Hearing Loss Prevention: NHCA annual meeting, set for Feb 23-25 2012

November 10, 2011

The 37th annual meeting of the National Hearing Conservation Association is set for Feb. 23-25, 2012, in New Orleans.

Read More

Many do not talk about their hearing loss

November 10, 2011

Many people with hearing loss choose to keep their problems to themselves, and do not get the support and help in the workplace that they require, according to a UK study.

Read More

Small businesses exposed to racial, sexual harassment lawsuits

November 9, 2011

The number one concern of small business HR Departments (small businesses typically employing 10-500 workers) is exposure to workplace litigation risks not being addressed.

Read More

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

ASSE's Safety 2013 Review

A photo gallery from the Las Vegas Convention Center, where ASSE’s annual professional development conference was held June 24 to 27. All photos courtesy of the American Society of Safety Engineers.

ISHN Magazine

ishn april 2014 issue cover

2014 April

In this month's issue of ISHN, check out features about safety in the oil and gas industry.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - January 2014

ISHN0114_FDO_cov.jpgFor Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THEJANUAYR 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.