Articles by DJ Borbidge

Training Strategies: Safety teams

By DJ Borbidge
No Comments
Results from a recent safety culture survey (conducted by The Human Side Inc.) at a large facility revealed that approximately 90 percent of the population did not know who was on their safety team, when they met or what they did. The other 10 percent, not surprisingly, were those on the team and management.

Read More

10 leadership tips for engaging employees in the safety process

By DJ Borbidge
No Comments
Training class is into its third day and we have broken into teams to begin identifying all the safe practices and conditions required within each team’s assigned work area. One group is having difficulty determining the safest way to perform a particular function.
Read More

8 steps to shaping your safety culture

By DJ Borbidge
No Comments
A thorough understanding of the existing culture must be accomplished. This can be realized by canvassing a large sampling of the total workforce to measure what perceptions, practices and conditions related to safety currently exist. A cultural survey can surface what is working and what is not. The information obtained can provide direction for change.
Read More

Employee behavior

By DJ Borbidge
No Comments
Throughout history exhaustive research has been conducted regarding applied behavioral science.
Read More

Incentives & Recognition

By DJ Borbidge
No Comments
Working TOGETHER: Strategies for fielding a winning safety team

The “Team Approach”…a popular trend in industry today. The philosophy is to pull a group of employees together to work on projects, sharing the load, and empowering them in order to solve problems or perpetuate processes.

Read More

Training Strategies: Culture Change

By DJ Borbidge
No Comments
In the past ten years, the “behavioral approach” has been considered innovative and in many companies has made significant headway in improving safety. However, while the process of pinpointing desired behaviors and observing/measuring them has been a strong movement, the “love affair” is waning.
Read More

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn Google + icon

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

ASSE Safety 2014 Review

A gallery of photos from the sprawling Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, where ASSE’s annual professional development conference was held June 8-11. All photos courtesy of the American Society of Safety Engineers.

9/30/14 2:00 pm EST

Leveraging Sustainability Initiatives to Benefit Your Community and Increase Compliance

This webinar will review how General Motors' Sustainability initiatives are being leveraged to improve the community and the environment, create efficient energy programs, improve sustainability tracking, impact on processes and overall reporting and improve overall social, environmental and corporate sustainability.

ISHN Magazine

ISHN SEPTEMBER 2014 COVER

2014 September

ISHN'S September issue features a series of essay on thought leadership. Get expert advice on self-motivation, compliance and more!

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - SEPTEMBER 2014

ISHN FDO SEPTEMBER 2014For Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THE SEPTEMBER 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.