Five years after starting his first job with a landscaping crew in the suburbs of Seattle, Fredi Dubon decided he had enough and called it quits. The work days were long, sometimes 12 hours, but a bigger problem was having to inhale exhaust from his gas-powered leaf blower.
High-quality equipment is important for fighting fires because it provides the best possible protection. Post-deployment hygiene should not be neglected since contamination can lead to considerable health hazards. A+A, the world’s leading trade fair with congress for safety, security and health at work, presents everything revolving around modern protective clothing for firefighters in Düsseldorf, Germany from October 17 – 20, 2017.
OSHA and the American Chemistry Council (ACC) have established a two-year alliance today to raise awareness of how workers are exposed to diisocyantes, and promote safe practices for their use in the polyurethane industry.
A group of first responders in Texas has filed a million dollar lawsuit against a chemical company, alleging that that they were injured by dangerous chemicals because the company failed to adequately prepare for Hurricane Harvey.
Now that kids are back in school, the U.S. Chemical Safety Board (CSB) is reminding teachers, staff, and school administrators about the hazards of using flammable materials, such as methanol, during classroom science demonstrations.
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) has announced more than $4 million in FY 2017 Hazardous Materials Instructor Training (HMIT) and Supplemental Public Sector Training (SPST) grants.
Nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, is the most common inhaled anesthetic used by dental practitioners. Although considered safe for occasional use in patients, studies show that long-term, work-related exposure may increase the risk of diseases of the nervous system, kidneys, and liver and of miscarriage and infertility. Fortunately, there are ways to minimize exposure of dental workers to nitrous oxide.
Jet fuel is a fairly common smell in the passenger cabin when a plane is preparing to taxi. Far less so is the aroma of dirty socks, rancid cheese, or a wet dog— unpleasant signs that engine oil vapors have seeped in, too.
Depending on the industry, employees may be at risk from exposure to tobacco smoke, carbon monoxide, allergens, bacteria, viruses, and chemicals that build up indoors. Employees may also be exposed to airborne contaminants on the job such as dusts, welding fumes, gases, solvent vapors and mists.