Two employees of a company that sells and installs fire extinguishers were injured severely on Feb. 12, 2016, when a compressed gas cylinder designed for a fire-suppression system exploded while they were attempting to fill it with compressed air from a high-pressure source.
In the agricultural industry, excessive dust is a fuel that can cause serious and sometimes deadly explosions and fires - as was the case at a Georgia chicken feed mill where an explosion killed a 25-year-old man and injured five others in February 2016, federal workplace safety inspectors have found.
An investigation that began after an OSHA compliance officer observed a roofing employee working on low slope roofs without fall protection turned up the information that it wasn’t first time the company had exposed its workers to life-threatening falls.
When OSHA enforcement personnel arrived at Albion Mill in Albion, Pennsylvania on Feb. 10, 2016, they expected to find hazards identified during a 2013 inspection abated. Instead, they found that the company:
Dorchester, Massachusetts-based contractor Roof Kings LLC exposed employees to life-threatening falls - more than 45 feet off the ground - over a three-day period as they worked at a Haverhill church, federal workplace safety and health inspectors found.
A Schenectady hazardous materials remediation contractor exposed its employees to mercury poisoning and did not provide proper safeguards to workers doing mercury removal work at the General Electric Co. Power and Water Main Plant State Superfund site in Schenectady, an OSHA investigation has found.
Materion Brush, Inc. of Elmore, Ohio was issued a willful safety violation by OSHA, after a worker had three fingers fractured when his right hand became caught in a pinch point as he operated a metal coiler.