Had his employer properly created a work zone, a passing car on Philadelphia's 63rd Street might not have struck and killed a 27-year-old plumber working to repair an underground leak on a mid-November night in 2015.
A firefighter in Kentucky is electrocuted after contacting overhead power line, Kentucky. A factory manager dies after bypassing lockout-tagout. A landscaper in Massachusetts working from a raised portable work platform is electrocuted when a pole saw contacts an overhead power line.
Co-worker has similar injury one year earlier on same machine
May 5, 2016
Just one year after a worker amputated part of her right index finger on a spot welding machine at an Osceola, Wisconsin, metal stamping plant, a 19-year-old female co-worker suffered a similar injury on the same machine. OSHA inspectors found that her employer failed to implement safety procedures they agreed upon to protect workers from machine operating parts.
A leading supplier of frozen specialty foods is facing more than $172,000 in OSHA fines after two workers at its Salina, Kansas, facility suffered amputations in separate incidents and a third suffered lacerations and burns.
50,000 new amputations occur every year in the U.S. based on information from National Center for Health Statistics. Ratio of upper limb to lower limb amputation is 1:4. Most common is partial hand amputation with loss of one or more fingers -- 61,000. Next common is loss of one arm -- 25,000.
Chinese authorities said 18 people were killed and another 18 were injured in an accident at a construction site in Dongguan city in the eastern Guandong province in April. The accident occurred after a crane fell on a shed that was sheltering the construction workers due to heavy winds, South China Morning Post (SCMP) reported.
A machine operator who suffered fatal injuries as he serviced a high-speed conveyor belt in a Ladysmith paper mill in October 2015 might still be alive if his employer had ensured that equipment was powered down and locked out before the 46-year-old man entered the hazardous area.