Severe weather happens year-round. Tornadoes, hurricanes and other storms can seriously damage power lines and other electrical equipment. Storm damage causes dangers that lurk after a storm has passed. Safe Electricity encourages you to be aware of and prepared for those dangers.
More than 7.1 million customers were without power across Florida and in parts of Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina as a result of Hurricane Irma. As the storm moved through the region, companies were able to address more than 1.25 million outages, due largely to recent investments in energy grid technology and automation.
Eager to get to that project you’ve been planning – the one that will require you to use power tools? In addition to the obvious hazards (saws cut off about 4,000 fingers in the U.S. each year, for instance), there are electrical hazards that you may not be thinking about – but you should be.
Industrial work is somewhat known for its risk for injury. However, it's still not something people often think about when actually doing the work that risks so much injury in such a substantial way. There are various ways injuries can happen when doing industrial work.
With summer in full swing, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) are joining forces to remind people about the potential electrical hazards in swimming pools, hot tubs and spas, on board boats and in the waters surrounding boats, marinas and launch ramps.
An arc flash at the Panda Power station in south Sherman, Texas, sent one employee to the hospital. An employee was de-energizing on a breaker when an arc flash occurred.
The accident happened around 7:30 a.m.
In the first case study, an electrician was working on a circuit breaker panel that he thought was deenergized. After completing the work, the electrician was closing one of the enclosure doors when an arc flash occurred.
An electric arc flash injured a worker at a power generating facility. When the arc flash occurred, a 48-year-old electrician was working on an electrical cabinet that was still powered. The wiring contractor employee suffered second and third-degree burns to his hands, arms and torso.