Do you know these arc flash statistics?
November 27, 2013
- 5 to 10 arc flash accidents occur every day in the U.S.
- More than 2,000 people are treated annually in burn centers with arc flash injuries
- 1-2 deaths occur per day from an arc flash incident
- $1.5M average cost of medical treatment
- 8-12 months away from work and possibility of permanent disability
- $10-15M average litigation cost for general industry incident
- Two-thirds of all electrical injuries result from inappropriate action of a worker
- Arc Flash can reach temperatures upwards of 30,000ºF (hotter than the surface of the Sun)
- Arc Blasts can produce a pressure wave greater than 2,000 lbs/sqft
- 480 volts often times has a greater Arc Flash potential than medium voltage gear (4,160V and above)
Source: Falcon Engineering Consultants www.falconengr.com