In considering very cheap cut-resistant gloves we may well be led to wonder, how could these supposedly hi-tech gloves be so cheap, and are they real or fake? Having been involved in the PPE glove industry for many years, I believe the truth lies somewhere in between.
Every year work gloves and sleeves improve to offer stronger protection with higher cut resistance and better insulation from heat. And while these innovations are crucial to safety, another equally important aspect of protection is comfort.
Magid®, a manufacturer and supplier of PPE, expands its line of work gloves to include thermal protection for cold weather conditions, paired with the cut resistance that workers need to protect against sharp materials.
Over the years, the industry has struggled to equate cut resistance with actual risk. The recent updates to the ANSI 105 and EN 388 standards will provide a more uniformed approach to assessing the cut resistant performance of gloves across the globe.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that 70 percent of workers who experienced hand injuries in 2015 were not wearing gloves. The remaining 30 percent of injured workers wore gloves but the gloves were inadequate, damaged or the wrong type of the hazards that were present.
A lot can change in five years. Consider this: in 2011, NASA’s Juno Spacecraft was just starting its trip to Jupiter, only six U.S. states allowed same-sex marriage and LeBron James was storming the playoff court in a Miami Heat jersey.