While changing an overhead ballast in a light fixture, an employee of New Jersey Medical Center received an electrical shock that caused him to fall from a ladder. He was hospitalized and died several weeks later from the injuries he sustained in the fall.
A Georgia utility company is facing $112,000 in proposed fines from federal workplace safety regulators after an arc flash severely burned an electrician at one of its plants.
OSHA cited Georgia Power Co., a unit of Atlanta-based Southern Co., after a 48-year-old electrician working on an electrical cabinet that was still powered was injured by an arc flash at the utility's Plant Bowen generating facility in October 2015, according to an agency news release issued on Monday.
An arc flash can be started by several causes. Some of these, like accidental contact and dropping tools are avoided by just not opening up energized equipment. Arcs can initiate from tracking across insulators, most commonly seen in high voltage equipment and caused by surface contamination on the insulators.
The Mine Safety and Health Administration has issued an electrical safety alert after several miners were injured in underground coalmine accidents. The mine safety agency’s recommended best practices include:
As part of its annual holiday safety awareness effort, the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) is urging the public to Make Safety a Tradition by providing resources that promote electrical safety during the holiday season.
Honeywell today announced an online portfolio of accredited electrical safety training courses to help electrical contractors and other workers prevent potentially serious injuries on the job.
The classes, offered by Honeywell Salisbury Assessment Solutions (SAS), provide a personalized, interactive, professional development opportunity, and provide a full range of tracking and reporting features to ensure compliance with National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) 70E standards for electrical safety in the workplace.
Brian Caron died on the job on March 23, 2016, when he was fatally overcome by an ammonia leak caused by a burst pipe in the machine shop of his employer, Boston fish and seafood wholesaler Stavis Seafoods Inc.
OSHA: Monster Tree Service failed to follow proper safety measures
October 19, 2016
Had proper precautions been taken, a 34-year-old tree trimmer would not have been fatally electrocuted when an aluminum pole saw made contact with overhead power lines, an OSHA investigation has found.
With summer in full swing, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) are joining forces to remind boaters, marina operators and swimmers to be aware of the potential electrical hazards that exist on board boats and in the waters surrounding boats, marinas and launch ramps.
After Recyc-Mattress Corp, an East Hartford, Connecticut mattress recycling company, failed to provide OSHA with information that it had remedied all the hazards cited in a 2015 inspection, the agency began an inspection on Jan. 12, 2016, to verify correction of the hazards.