- OIL & GAS
The American Council of Government Industrial Hygienists has announced election results for its 2012 Board of Directors and Nominating Committee.
• J. Torey Nalbone, PhD, CIH has been elected to the position of Vice Chair-Elect. He began his four-year rotation on January 1, 2012. Dr. Nalbone started his career as an industrial hygiene and environmental analytical chemist and is currently an Associate Professor and Interim Chair for the Departments of Civil/Environmental Engineering and Construction Management at the University of Texas at Tyler. He has been ABIH-certified since 1993. Nalbone joined ACGIH in 1986 and has served as Chair of the organization's Agricultural Safety and Health Committee and the Bioaerosols Committee. He also serves as a Director and Chair of the American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH) and as Treasurer of the Academy of Industrial Hygiene (AIH).
• James H. Stewart, PhD, CIH, CSP has been elected to the position of Director-At-Large. He began his three-year term on January 1, 2012. Dr. Stewart has worked in government, academia and industry. He worked as an OSHA Compliance Officer for the United States Department of Labor, in academia as Director of EH&S for Harvard University and as an Instructor in Industrial Hygiene at the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH). He also worked as plant, division and corporate director in a Fortune 44 and a Fortune 200 company. In addition to these work experiences, Dr. Stewart was the founder of Datachem Software, Inc. and is currently a Principal Scientist and Director of Advanced Analytics and Building Science at Environmental Health and Engineering, Inc. (EH&E).
The four new members of the 2012 ACGIH Nominating Committee are:
• Joseph Coble, ScD, CIH. Dr. Coble is an industrial hygienist with the DOL-OSHA Directorate of Standards and Guidance in Washington, DC, where he works on the development of occupational health standards and guidance documents. He is a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) with over 25 years of work experience in both private industry and government agencies.
• Lawrence M. Gibbs, CIH. Mr. Gibbs is Associate Vice-Provost for EH&S at Stanford University where he is responsible for oversight of all health, safety, and environmental risk management programs in addition to oversight of institutional emergency planning. He is also a lecturer at the Woods Institute for the Environment at Stanford and serves on the Stanford Board of Overseers for the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory. Gibbs is a certified industrial hygienist with over 25 years of experience in academic, research and clinical institutions. He is a Past Chair of ACGIH, has served as officer and board member in a number of other national and international professional associations, and is a Fellow of the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA).
• Deborah Imel Nelson, PhD, CIH, MPH. Dr. Nelson is the Safety, Health, and Environmental Management Program Manager for EPA’s Office of Criminal Enforcement, Forensics and Training, where she develops policy and programs, and handles operational issues for EPA’s criminal investigators. During her 36-year career, she has been an OSHA compliance officer, a professor of environmental science at the University of Oklahoma College of Engineering, an occupational health scientist at the World Health Organization, and emergency manager at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Dr. Nelson has been a member of ACGIH and AIHA since 1977, and has served as ACGIH representative to the Permanent Conference Committee.
• David A. Sterling, PhD, CIH, ROH. Dr. Sterling is Professor and Chair of the Department of Environmental/Occupational Health and the Department of Epidemiology at the University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth, TX. He previously taught at St. Louis University. His professional experience includes evaluating workers in traditional industry, indoor air quality, and exposure of communities from industrial facilities in the U.S. and internationally. He has served as Chair of both the Continuing Education and Publications Committees of AIHA.
ACGIH is a member-based organization that advances occupational and environmental health. It is one of the industry’s leading publications resources, with approximately 400 titles relative to occupational and environmental health and safety, including TLVs® and BEIs®. For more information, visit the ACGIH at www.acgih.org or call 513-742-2020.