Safety in the Construction Industry

Social media campaign spreads pictures of unsafe construction sites

Twitter, blog being used to ID, explain hazards
August 19, 2013

Unsafe construction sites now the run the risk of being “outed” on social media, thanks to a campaign that invites people to potentially unsafe circumstances and share them via social media platforms.

Read More

Electrical community gets an online (safety) home

NFPA’s necconect is educational and interactive.
August 13, 2013

Electricians and all those interested in electrical safety have a new online community they can join, thanks to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). The new website from the NFPA, necconnect.org, is a resource for installers and contractors, designers and engineers, code enforcers, and policy makers for all things related to the NFPA 70®, National Electrical Code® (NEC®), which sets the standard for safe electrical installations in homes, businesses, industry and institutions.

Read More

Southeast construction workers on a safety stand-down today

Focus is on fall prevention
August 6, 2013

OSHA, along with trade associations and employers throughout Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee, conducted a one-hour safety stand-down at construction sites and workplaces today from 7 to 8 a.m.

Read More

OSHA produces its first e-book

"Falling Off Ladders Can Kill"
July 30, 2013

Last year, OSHA Director of Construction Jim Maddux delivered a presentation on OSHA’s new campaign to prevent fatal falls at the annual conference of the American Society of Safety Engineers. When he finished, one of the conference leaders rushed over, eager to introduce Maddux to representatives from another agency with a similar mission of stopping falls in construction: Singapore’s Ministry of Manpower.

Read More

ISHN readers weigh in on contractor’s dilemma

He brings up unsafe conditions, is ignored
July 30, 2013

If safety is not in your job description, are you obligated to mention unsafe work conditions? That was one of the topics that appeared in the responses to a story featured on the ISHN website on July 18: “Safety pro asks, ‘Who can fight for my rights?’”

Read More

NY contractor exposes workers to asbestos

Hospital who hired company cited, too
July 25, 2013

OSHA has cited the University of Rochester Strong Memorial Hospital and DGA Builders LLC, both of Rochester, for 14 serious violations of workplace safety and health standards, chiefly involving asbestos. The companies face a combined total of $53,200 in proposed fines, following an inspection.

Read More

Improving the safety culture in the construction industry

CPWR and NIOSH workshop yielded lots of ideas
July 19, 2013

As construction contractors grapple with key safety issues (i.e. fall prevention), keep track of government regulations and cope with a diverse workforce, they do so within the context of a safety culture.

Read More

NIOSH uses comic book to highlight nail gun safety

July 19, 2013

In its efforts to communicate nail gun safety guidance to the construction industry, NIOSH has released its first-ever comic book: Straight Talk About Nail Gun Safety.

Read More

Company co-owner forgoes safety equipment, has fatal fall

Teenage construction worker seriously injured in same town, different accident
July 18, 2013

The co-owner of a small tree service company in Sharpsville, Pennsylvania, was not wearing his safety equipment when he fell to his death July 11 while trimming trees, according to his partner in the business.

Read More

Safety pro asks, ‘Who can fight for my rights?’

I'd get fired if I take action - but I'll be held responsible if injuries occur
July 18, 2013

Since you dealt with problems before here I have a good one for you. I just got hired last week as a Construction Superintendent. I have OSHA training and other safety training. I am 67 years old and was out of work for over 3 yrs.

Read More

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn Google + icon

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

ASSEâ??s Safety 2014 Review

A gallery of photos from the sprawling Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, where ASSE’s annual professional development conference was held June 8-11. All photos courtesy of the American Society of Safety Engineers.

6/26/14 2:00 pm EDT

Realizing ROI from Your Gas Detection Program

This presentation will cover why a safe workplace equates to good business, why keeping workers truly safe from hazardous gases requires a complete gas detection program, and how your investment can ensure an ROI to your overall business.

ISHN Magazine

ISHN0714_cover.jpg

2014 July

In this month's issue of ISHN, check out the top training companies and find out who the winners of the ISHN/ASSE Safety 2014 awards are.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - May 2014

ISHN0514FDO_cover.jpgFor Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THEMAY 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.