A 49-year-old machine operator was fatally crushed while reaching into an extrusion press to remove unprocessed aluminum parts because his employer, BRT Extrusions Inc., failed to ensure the machine's power was fully off so that it would not turn on during maintenance, a procedure known as lockout/tagout.
A 31-year-old worker was the second person killed in a year at Madden Bolt Corp. when a cutting-table explosion in August 2014 hurled the employee and a steel plate into the air. The plate then landed on the fallen worker, OSHA investigators determined.
Emergency safety showers provide the first line of defence in the event of a chemical spillage. When workers come into contact with dangerous substances they need to be able to wash it off quickly. Delays exacerbate the situation resulting in more serious injury with possible long-term consequences, permanent disability, and even death.
Investigators have determined an electrical failure igniting a nearby, dry Christmas tree caused the recent Annapolis mansion fire that killed four young children and their grandparents. In the wake of this tragedy, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) are joining forces to educate the public about the danger of dried out Christmas trees and the importance of electrical safety.
The International Safety Equipment Association (ISEA) has received American National Standards Institute (ANSI) approval for ANSI/ISEA Z358.1-2014, American National Standard for Emergency Eyewash and Shower Equipment.
Georgia-Pacific Chemicals facing $60,500 in penalties
February 5, 2015
Workers at Georgia-Pacific Chemicals LLC were exposed to dangerous chemicals, such as formaldehyde and other potential health and safety hazards, because the company failed to implement proper chemical management procedures at its Columbus plant.
Ernesto Paramo never knew his shift on August 4 would be his last, leaving his family and friends to grieve his untimely death. The 30-year-old welder clocked in as he had many times before and then went to work at Superior Steel Products Inc.