Featured speakers include Mark D. Hoover, PhD, CHP, CIH, senior scientist, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH); Bruce J. Kelman, PhD, DABT, president and principal, Veritox Inc.; Vince Castranova, Ph.D., branch chief, NIOSH; and Charles L. Geraci, PhD, CIH, document development branch chief, NIOSH.
Presentations will include information on the following:
• Nanotoxicology issues for assessing and managing occupational exposure risks for nanoparticles in the workplace;
• Toxicology of nanoparticles for industrial hygienists;
• Nanotoxicology insights from the NIOSH Research Program;
• Managing exposure risks for nanomaterials using the current state of knowledge.
Attendees will learn to:
• Describe how nanotoxicology issues fit into an overall risk assessment and risk management framework for nanotechnology;
• Understand the toxicological properties of nanoparticles of concern for the health and safety of workers and consumers, including:
- Properties of nanoparticles that may lead to enhanced bioactivity;
- Possible pulmonary responses to inhaled nanoparticles;
- Possible systemic responses to inhaled nanoparticles;
- Possible responses to dermal exposure to nanoparticles.
• Understand and apply approaches for evaluating and managing risks for handling nanomaterials in the presence of uncertainty.
Participants need Internet access and a telephone, or just a phone, to be part of these live educational events. In addition, an archive copy of the TeleWeb will be available on CD for purchase.
To register for “Nanotechnology Update for IHs: Toxicology and Exposure Assessment Issues,” call (800) 651-7916, or register online athttp://www.aiha.org/Content/CE/DL/NanotechUpdateTeleWeb.htm. AIHA members who register by January 14, 2008, can attend the TeleWeb for $295, nonmembers for $325. After January 14, tuition will be an additional $100 for both members and nonmembers. Every site registered will receive materials that may be duplicated for each participant.