7 steps to heart health from the Harvard Heart Letter (4/16)
You qualify as someone with ideal heart health if you have not been diagnosed with cardiovascular disease and
- have never smoked or quit more than a year ago
- maintain a healthy body weight (a body mass index under 25)
- spend at least 150 minutes a week doing moderate physical activity or 75 minutes a week doing vigorous activity
- eat a healthy diet
- keep your total cholesterol under 200 mg/dL
- keep your blood pressure under 120/80
- keep your fasting blood sugar under 100 mg/dL.
The Harvard Heart Letter points readers to the AHA’s online heart health resource, called My Life Check (www.heart.org/MyLifeCheck). It includes a questionnaire that lets you know where you are on the spectrum for each of the seven goals and tools to help you develop a plan to improve your health and track your progress.
Read the full-length article: "American Ideal"