ToxiRAE 3 (PGM‐1700) alcohol‐resistant H2S sensor and battery life improvements
Alcohol‐resistant H2S sensor.
Conventional electrochemical sensors for hydrogen sulfide (H2S) used in portable monitors have an inherent negative cross‐sensitivity to a wide range of alcohols spanning from hand sanitizer to ethylene. This negative cross‐sensitivity causes the H2S sensor to underreport readings for hydrogen sulfide when alcohols are present in the atmosphere at the same time as H2S. This may become a major safety issue with people getting exposed to higher concentration of H2S than shown on the monitor’s display, without knowing it.
When H2S is not present in the air, but alcohols are, the negative cross‐sensitivity may cause the sensor to go into a false “negative reading” alarm, which not only may be frustrating to users, but also may reduce the monitor’s battery life by generating extra battery‐draining alarm minutes.
The H2S sensor in ToxiRAE 3 monitors has been upgraded to deliver reliable, accurate H2S detection without underreporting H2S readings or producing false alarms in environments where alcohols are present.
Nature of the enhancement: alcohol‐resistant H2S sensor.
- ToxiRAE 3 models affected: ToxiRAE 3 H2S only (part numbers: G01‐0102‐XXX, G01‐0104‐XXX, and G01‐0107‐XXX).
- Availability: All new ToxiRAE 3 H2S instruments are already shipping with the alcohol-resistant sensor installed, instrument serial numbers starting with G0125001XX.
- Backward compatibility: not supported. Any and all ToxiRAE 3 H2S monitors shipped before the enhancement was implemented cannot be upgraded to the new sensor.
- Part number change: none. ToxiRAE 3 H2S monitors with the new, alcohol‐resistant H2S sensor will be sold under the same part numbers as the “old” ToxiRAE 3 H2S monitors (part numbers: G01‐0102‐XXX, G01‐0104‐XXX, and G01‐0107‐XXX).
- Price change: none.
Battery life improvements.
RAE Systems guarantees ToxiRAE 3 instruments for 2 years, including the battery. In some cases, however, firmware caused the monitors to prematurely go into a false “Low Battery” alarm while the battery was still in good working condition, producing adequate voltage. To rectify this issue, ToxiRAE 3 firmware algorithms have been fine‐tuned to eliminate false “Low Battery” alarms and ensure at least 2 years of continuous, reliable performance.
Nature of the change: firmware update to ensure 2+ years of battery life by eliminating false low battery alarms.
- Firmware version containing the update: ToxiRAE 3 firmware V.2.1.
- ToxiRAE 3 models affected: all ToxiRAE 3 models (ToxiRAE 3 H2S, CO, and CO highrange; part numbers: G01‐010X‐XXX).
- Availability: All new ToxiRAE 3 instruments are already shipping with the new firmware
- V.2.1, instrument serial numbers starting with: G0125001P7 for ToxiRAE 3 H2S, G0110001P7 for ToxiRAE 3 CO, and G0130001P7 for ToxiRAE 3 CO Extended‐Range.
- Backward compatibility: not supported. Any and all ToxiRAE 3 monitors shipped before the enhancement was implemented cannot be upgraded to the new firmware.
- Part number change: none.
- Price change: none.
Learn more. Visit RAE Systems: www.raesystems.com.