Total Building Services Group in Marietta, Georgia was cited for ten safety and health violations after a recent OSHA inspection conducted under the agency's Site-Specific Targeting Program, which directs enforcement resources to workplaces with higher-than-average rates of injuries and illnesses.
According to OSHA, the company failed to:
- train workers on the hazards associated with combustible dust
- ensure that grounding and bonding was maintained on the ductwork and dust collector used to capture wood dust
- train workers on the proper use of a fire extinguisher
- provide appropriate eye protection for workers who wear prescription glasses
- ensure hearing protection was worn
- provide training for workers exposed to noise greater than the permissible exposure limit
- identify permit-required confined spaces with signage
- ensure proper explosion-proof lighting was used, and
- prevent exposure to slip hazards.
Proposed penalties total $42,120.
Additionally, the company was cited for a repeat violation for failing to provide Appendix D, which contains information on respirator use, to workers who voluntarily wore dust masks and disposable respirators. The same violation was cited in April 2010.
Total Building Services Group provides turnkey framing services and architectural millwork to builders and clients.