I am very fortunate to be able to travel the world through my work. I just got back from Dubai and had a great trip! It is so interesting to see other parts of the world and experience different cultures. In fact, I spoke to a group with participants from every corner of the world, and I do mean every corner.
We did some fun things too, like a desert safari and barbecue – yes that's me in the photo.
Getting to my point, with such a diverse group and varying degrees of risks that are managed in some organizations, I believe it is critically important to lead from one standard of performance, with a unified vision for safety excellence.
With one standard and one vision, there is a common pull and clearer expectations that can be proactively led and managed. I often stress that every organization has to believe that "Their Standard - Is the Standard!"
I believe there are a number of benefits to this approach:
- One vision for safety excellence keeps everyone looking forward in the same direction at the same image for excellence.
- Expectations can be led, managed, audited and aligned in a uniform way.
- There's less confusion when it comes to rules and worker expectations and that means less conflict and agreement with regard to fairness – this is so important.
- Your standards remain high regardless of schedule and other cultures around you that may influence your workers in one direction or another.
- There's clarity for your customers when they recognize how you lead EHS performance and align your standards for sustainable excellence.
One vision and one standard of EHS performance are becoming more and more important with our global influences. Many of you realize this but there is much more work to be done – it never ends.
Thanks for taking the time to read about my thoughts and travels!