Loss Prevention and Safety Control: Terms and Definitions
- Provides common safety standards and organizations
- Includes safety engineering aspects in addition to common safety terms
- Covers more detailed descriptions than an average dictionary
- Defines terms with figures, photos, tables, and diagrams to reinforce understanding
- Presents terminology in alphabetical order for easy searching
An encyclopedic, A-Z listing of terminology, Loss Prevention and Safety Control: Terms and Definitions addresses the need for a comprehensive reference that provides a complete and sufficient description of the terminology used in the safety/loss prevention field. Fostering clarity in communication among diverse segments within the field and between outside agencies, this book:
- Provides a reference for the background, meaning, and description of safety and loss prevention terms being used in government, industry, research, and education
- Contains two-paragraph descriptions of terms, photographs, diagrams, graphs, and tables to aid understanding of the subject, making it more than a dictionary
- Includes common safety terms, safety engineering aspects, a description of safety organizations, and a list of common safety standards and their scope
The field of safety and loss prevention encompasses myriad unrelated industries and organizations, such as insurance companies, research entities, process industries, and educational organizations. These organizations may not realize that their terminology is not understood by individuals or even compatible with the nomenclature used outside their own sphere of influence. And even though fire protection and environmental professionals use identical and similar terminology, their meanings may be slightly different in selected applications.
An all-encompassing reference, the book uses OSHA standards and interpretations as guidelines for the definitions and explanations. Drawing from the many areas that influence the terminology, it provides a basic understanding of the terms used in lost prevention and control.