- ISHN GLOBAL
- EHS RESEARCH
OSHA issued 32 per-instance willful citations, with penalties of more than $2.2 million. OSHA cited BP for:
- locating people in vulnerable buildings among the processing units;
- failing to correct de-pressurization deficiencies;
- failing to correct deficiencies with gas monitors; and
- failing to prevent the use of non-approved electrical equipment in locations in which hazardous concentrations of flammable gases or vapors may exist.
In addition, five serious violations resulted in another $35,000 in penalties. These violations included:
- failing to develop operating procedures for a unit that removes sulfur compound;
- failing to ensure that operating procedures reflect current operating practice in the Isocracker Unit;
- failing to resolve process hazard analysis recommendations;
- failing to resolve process safety management compliance audit items in a timely manner; and
- failing to periodically inspect pressure piping systems.
"Our Enhanced Enforcement Program (EEP) exists for companies like this who, despite our enforcement and outreach efforts, ignore their obligations under the law and continually place their employees at risk," said Edwin Foulke, Jr., OSHA assistant secretary.