U.S. Postal Service cited for safety violations at Austin facility

An employee at the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) in Austin, Texas, was injured after being ejected from a forklift. OSHA cited the postal service for failing to ensure that forklift operators obeyed traffic regulations. The postal service was also cited for exposing employees to tripping hazards, and failing to label electrical panels and breakers. USPS faces penalties totaling $224,858. For information about forklift safety see OSHA's QuickCard.

Worker’s arm crushed at Ohio manufacturer company

American Excelsior Co., was cited for machine guarding violations after an employee's arm was crushed while removing product build-up from a machine. The company was cited for failing to implement procedures to prevent unintentional machine start-up, and train employees on energy control procedures. OSHA issued penalties of $213,411.

Wisconsin Refinery employees injured in blast

OSHA cited Superior Refining Co., LLC, for failing to control the use and release of highly hazardous chemicals after an explosion and fire at the company's plant injured several employees. Superior Refining faces $83,150 in penalties. Inspectors cited the refinery for eight serious violations of OSHA's process safety management procedures. For more information, read the news release.

Wash. cites construction company for trenching hazards

The Washington Division of Occupational Safety and Health issued six citations and $126,400 in penalties to Colf Construction for exposing workers to trenching and excavation hazards during a highway bridge project. Inspectors determined that the company failed to ensure that workers were protected from cave-ins, conduct daily excavation inspections, remove workers from hazardous areas, and provide safe exits from excavations. Read the news release for more information.

Hawaiian foreman nearly killed by electrical shock

The Hawaii Occupational Safety and Health Division issued three citations and $88,725 in penalties to Hawaiian Electric Co., Inc., after a foreman came in contact with energized equipment and sustained a near-fatal shock and burns. Inspectors concluded that the company failed to have an effective safety and health program, train workers on the control of hazardous energy, and conduct an inspection to identify hazards before starting work.