"This proposed rule would significantly improve health protections for underground and surface coal miners by reducing their occupational exposure to respirable coal mine dust," said Joseph A. Main, assistant secretary of labor for mine safety and health. "It will lower the risk that they will suffer material impairment of health or functional capacity over their working lives."
Each of the public hearings will begin at 9 a.m. local time and end after the last presenter speaks, but no later than 5 p.m., on the following dates at the locations indicated:
- Dec. 7, 2010: National Mine Health and Safety Academy, Beaver, W.Va.
- Dec. 9, 2010: The George Washington Hotel, Washington, Pa.
- Jan. 11, 2011: Marriott Evansville Airport, Evansville, Ind.
- Jan. 13, 2011: Sheraton Birmingham, Birmingham, Ala.
- Jan. 25, 2011: Marriott Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Jan. 27, 2011: Mine Safety and Health Administration Headquarters, Arlington, Va.
MSHA will accept post-hearing written comments and other appropriate information for the record from any interested party, including those not presenting oral statements. Comments must be received by midnight EST on Feb. 28, 2011.