When her children started school, Susan* felt fortunate to land a job as a nightshift nurse, a job that would enable her to be there for her children when they came home in the afternoon. Even though the work was demanding, a year into her new job she felt confident about understanding her job duties and mastering necessary skills.
Electricity plays a major role in our daily lives but we can often take its power and the convenience it provides, along with its potential for fire-related hazards, for granted. That is why the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) actively supports National Electrical Safety Month, an annual campaign sponsored by the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI), which works to raise awareness of potential home electrical hazards and the importance of electrical fire safety during the month of May.
Co-worker has similar injury one year earlier on same machine
May 5, 2016
Just one year after a worker amputated part of her right index finger on a spot welding machine at an Osceola, Wisconsin, metal stamping plant, a 19-year-old female co-worker suffered a similar injury on the same machine. OSHA inspectors found that her employer failed to implement safety procedures they agreed upon to protect workers from machine operating parts.
A leading supplier of frozen specialty foods is facing more than $172,000 in OSHA fines after two workers at its Salina, Kansas, facility suffered amputations in separate incidents and a third suffered lacerations and burns.
A short circuit on Washington’s Metrorail system that caused thick smoke to fill a stranded train, killing one passenger and injuring 91 people on Jan. 12, 2015, was the result of WMATA failing to follow its own safety procedures and inadequate safety oversight by the Tri-State Oversight Committee and the Federal Transit Administration, according to a report by the National Transportation Safety Board.
A five-hour educational program can promote resilience among employees facing downsizing and restructuring, according to a study in the April Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, official publication of the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (ACOEM).
An employee of a Massachusetts gutter cleaning company was working on a rooftop Nov. 29, 2015 when he fell, first striking a lower roof 11 feet below his original location, then falling another 15 to the ground.