Occupational Safety

Hazardous highway work zone season now in full swing

May 14, 2014

Better weather means an increase in highway construction projects across the U.S., with a corresponding increase in danger for those working on those projects. The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) says that highway improvement projects being performed on roadways that are open to traffic are expanding as the nation’s highway infrastructure ages and agencies focus on rebuilding existing roadways instead of building new ones.

Read More

In the era of Big Data and a shrinking OSHA, what does an EHS professional do, why are any needed?

May 14, 2014

I would look outside the EHS arena, which gets too lost in being OSHA-centric, for answers to some of the questions that confront the future of the EHS profession. I think the world of Risk Management and Insurance and the Liability Environment play a much bigger role in corporate decision-making when it comes to occupational safety.

Read More

Spike in mine fatalities spurs action by MSHA

May 12, 2014

A recent increase in mining deaths prompted the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) to convene a meeting of mine industry stakeholders last week at agency headquarters in Arlington, Va. Assistant Secretary Joseph Main and his staff discussed in detail the 19 metal and nonmetal mining fatalities that have occurred since October 2013.

Read More

What’s up next in EHS

Abstracts at AIHce 2014 will cover emerging trends in worker health and safety
May 12, 2014

Eleven abstracts to be presented at the 2014 American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Exposition (AIHce) will reveal some exciting new strategies to protect worker health.  These approaches range from advancing the safety culture in academic laboratories to minimizing the risks to workers in healthcare settings.

Read More

OSHA uses new video to promote I2P2

May 9, 2014

OSHA has produced a new seven-minute video that explains how an injury and illness prevention program (I2P2) can enhance workplace safety and health. The “We Can Do This”  video shows a variety real-life workplaces and features commentary by OSHA chief Dr. David Michaels, a strong proponent of I2P2.

Read More

OSHA deputy outlines agency priorities

May 8, 2014

Jordan Barab, deputy assistant secretary at OSHA, give a quick, 20-minute snapshot of his agency’s current priorities on Wednesday, May 7 at an event sponsored by ASSE – “Occupational Safety & Health in Global Workforce Sustainability.” The half-day meeting was held at the National Press Club in Washington, DC. Temp worker safety was at the top of Barab’s list. OSHA is concerned about fatalities among inexperience temps, many who will work numerous “first days on the job” in a year.

Read More

Friends of NIOSH defend ERCs, ag and fishing program

May 8, 2014

The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health has a lot of friends. In a recent letter, more than 150 organizations that make up the “Friends of NIOSH” urged congressional leaders to disregard President Obama’s proposed elimination (in his FY 2015 budget) of Education and Research Centers (ERCs) and Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing Program and maintain funding for them, as well as for NIOSH’s other programs.

Read More

A People Based Safety (PBS) program

May 8, 2014

One of my clients in South Africa (ZA) instituted a People Based Safety (PBS) program about four years back. As you recall this was the time the Football (soccer) World Cup was hosted by ZA in 2010.

Read More

Workers at Wisc. plant burned by acid after company ignores its own policy

May 7, 2014

Seven workers at a South Milwaukee manufacturing plant directed to clean up after an acid spill suffered burns and other injuries, resulting in six OSHA violations and proposed penalties of $166,000.

Read More

Study finds high rate of highway work zone crashes in U.S.

May 6, 2014

Forty-five percent of highway contractors had motor vehicles crash into their construction work zones during the past year, according to the results of a new highway work zone study conducted by the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC of America).

Read More

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn Google + icon

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

ASSE Safety 2014 Review

A gallery of photos from the sprawling Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, where ASSE’s annual professional development conference was held June 8-11. All photos courtesy of the American Society of Safety Engineers.

6/26/14 2:00 pm EDT

Realizing ROI from Your Gas Detection Program

This presentation will cover why a safe workplace equates to good business, why keeping workers truly safe from hazardous gases requires a complete gas detection program, and how your investment can ensure an ROI to your overall business.

ISHN Magazine

ISHN_0814cov.jpg

2014 August

Check out ISHN's August issue which features content about pain prevention, forklift operation safety and a preview of the National Safety Congress and Expo.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - May 2014

ISHN0514FDO_cover.jpgFor Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THEMAY 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.