Forklift rollover crushes worker’s pelvis
A worker hospitalized after a forklift accident at Evergreen Nursery in Stratham, Georgia was not wearing a seatbelt, according to OSHA.
Agency enforcement officers who investigated the March 18, 2016 incident found that it occurred when the 36-year-old operator was driving the forklift on uneven terrain and it turned over, crushing his pelvis. The severe injury resulted in the man’s hospitalization.
In addition to the seatbelt violation, OSHA cited the company for:
- Exposing workers to electrical hazards from improperly repaired electrical cords.
- Not providing protective equipment to workers.
- Not developing a written hazard communication program for workers handling chemicals.
- Not providing written energy control procedures to prevent machinery from starting during maintenance and servicing.
- Exposing workers to unguarded machine parts and equipment.
- Exposing workers to falls due to missing safety rails.
Proposed penalties: $46,900
Evergreen Nursery is a wholesale nursery that specializes in perennial and ground covers. The company operates a facility near Athens, Georgia and employs approximately 40 workers.