What to do if your finger gets cut off
In the event that your finger is amputated during an accident, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers this advice:
- Apply pressure to the injured area immediately.
- Gently cleanse the amputated part with water (preferably saline).
- Cover it in gauze wrap.
- Put it in a watertight bag.
- Place the bag on ice.
- Do not put the amputated part directly on ice. You could further damage it.
- Take the amputated part with you to the emergency room immediately.