Survey finds worldwide EHS budgets to increase 5.4% in 2018
The largest, annual global survey of environment, health and safety directors has uncovered that EHS budgets will increase by an average of 5.4% in 2018. This is according to a new survey of 382 EHS directors conducted by independent research firm Verdantix in 31 countries and 25 industries worldwide.
“Our global survey finds that in 2018, 21% of EHS leaders will increase spend in double digits, 26% in single digits and 48% will spend the same budget as in 2017” commented Verdantix analyst, Isabel Velasco. “Overall this is good news for EHS technology, consulting and training vendors. Against a positive economic backdrop, almost half of the corporate world is planning to increase investment in their safety, health and environment initiatives.”
Key findings of the report, “Global EHS Leaders Survey 2017: Budgets, Priorities & Tech Preferences” include:
- 42% of EHS directors will increase spend on technology but only 29% will ramp up investment on EHS consulting
- 35% of respondents will prioritize spending on worker safety; just 20% intend to increase investment in GHG emissions
- Safety and incident management top the list of EHS software spending plans with reporting and analytics a close third
- EHS consulting growth will be focused on improving operational performance, EHS software projects and EHS audits. M&A advisory and sustainability come bottom of the list
- Only 35% of EHS directors self-describe themselves as technology leaders
- 77% of respondents think software vendors should host software in their country of operation
- Smart PPE and mobile apps for audit and incident management top the list of emerging technologies of interest in 2018
- 78% of EHS directors view private cloud as an acceptable deployment option for EHS software
“Our annual global survey provides granular, authoritative data on the budgets, priorities and tech preferences of 382 EHS managers” commented Verdantix CEO, David Metcalfe. “Priorities for 2018 are very positive for software vendors, mobile apps developers and innovative personal protective equipment suppliers. By contrast it’s a more mixed picture for consultants. Anticipated real budget growth of 5.4% indicates another positive year for improvements in EHS performance worldwide.”
To learn more about EHS best practices and innovation register for the Verdantix EHS Summit Europe from March 13-14, 2018 in London and Verdantix EHS Summit North America May 21-23, 2018 in Houston.