Two teen workers electrocuted at a McDonald’s in Peru
Two teenage employees working the overnight shift at a McDonald’s in Lima, Peru were electrocuted earlier this month – an incident which has led to a national conversation about workplace conditions at various companies in the country.
News reports say Alexandra Porras Inga and Gabriel Campos Zap were electrocuted by a loose cable, possibly while mopping the floor of the restaurant, which is open 24 hours a day on weekends. Peru's workplace safety department, the Superintendencia Nacional de Fiscalizacion Laboral, has begun an investigation into working conditions at this McDonald's location.
The company that owns McDonald’s in Peru, Arcos Dorados, announced that it would close all of its location for a two-day mourning period.
Peruvians – especially young ones - took to social media following the deaths to talk about dangerous workplace conditions they’d encountered. In recent years, the country has experienced tremendous economic growth which has created many new jobs. Workplace safety concerns have not necessarily kept pace with the economic expansion.
Click here for workplace safety materials related to electrical hazards from the Electrical Safety Foundation International.