How effective are your safety trainers?
January 25, 2002
Here's what to look for, according to the new ANZI Z490.1 voluntary standard on Criteria for Accepted Practices in Safety, Health and Environmental Training.
Effective trainers have the ability to:
- establish a positive learning environment or classroom climate that encourages participation;
- make participants aware that they are free to make mistakes and experiment;
- describe their roles as guide, facilitator and trainer;
- express the priority of meeting students' learning needs;
- describe and document learning objectives;
- describe and document an agenda for sequencing and delivering training;
- make good use of training aids and materials;
- use all materials designed for the course;
- keep the session alive by soliciting responses and assessing the amount of learning occurring;
- use backup plans if chosen training methods are not effective;
- manage the classroom and physical environment so learning is promoted.