How effective are your safety trainers?
Effective trainers have the ability to:
- establish a positive learning environment or classroom climate that encourages participation;
- make participants aware that they are free to make mistakes and experiment;
- describe their roles as guide, facilitator and trainer;
- express the priority of meeting students' learning needs;
- describe and document learning objectives;
- describe and document an agenda for sequencing and delivering training;
- make good use of training aids and materials;
- use all materials designed for the course;
- keep the session alive by soliciting responses and assessing the amount of learning occurring;
- use backup plans if chosen training methods are not effective;
- manage the classroom and physical environment so learning is promoted.