Systems Thinking

Quality vs. safety: Not a superiority contest

One-upmanship harms business competitiveness
Recently a colleague at my office, Dr. Ron Schulingkamp, shared a Quality Progress article entitled “Quality vs. Safety” by Mustafa Ghaleiw.

Read More

Do we really need I2P2?

How would small & medium-sized firms comply?
OSHA is describing its I2P2 as a proactive process to help employers find and fix workplace hazards before workers get hurt.

Read More

The dangerous safety narcissist

Stand up to boorish, self-absorbed arrogance
Drawing upon Dr. James’ theory (i.e., definition), I’ll take a stab at categorizing a Safety narcissist into two groups of individuals – the employee version and the safety professional version.

Read More

To truly change your culture… Requires deep insight and broad understanding

When undertaking an organizational transformation, often we are challenged to explain what the culture is and why we need to “change” it.

Read More

You really can change your safety culture

But you must reprogram how you see things
Continuing the changing culture theme from last month, let’s explore Mark Bodnarczuk’s Island of Excellence® Change Model.

Read More

So you want to integrate safety…

Do you have a safety subculture residing in a silo?
Do you believe there is a subculture within the overall culture of your organization that is all about safety and nothing else?

Read More

Controlling managers versus persuasive managers

This month we will cover the need for Power.

Read More

“Can’t we all just be friends?”

Dealing with safety pros & bosses who want to be liked
Last month I wrote about safety and health professionals who are motivated by the need for Achievement.

Read More

Are you driven to achieve?

Exploring the motivational forces at work in your workplace
Have you ever wondered what motivates you and the people you work with and for?

Read More

It’s really not so complicated

Focus on the system, not the “sinner”
During the past 40+ years, safety panaceas have produced degrees of temporary success and expensive failures. One of the most hotly debated is behavior-based safety (BBS).

Read More

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

Scenes from the World of Safety

Sights, signs & symbols from the National Safety Congress & Expo held in San Diego, CA, September 15-18

11/4/14 2:00 pm EST

Eye Injuries: You rarely see them coming. Practical Solutions for reducing injuries to the eye.

The 3M Eye Injury Reduction webinar will provide an examination of how to help solve eye injuries in the workplace. This issue continues to challenge virtually every industry, and the solution is often times multifaceted. 3M will share some new tools and approaches to help you in solving this issue.

ISHN Magazine

ISHN1014_cover.jpg

2014 October

This issue features articles about PPE safety and OSHA standards

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - SEPTEMBER 2014

ISHN FDO SEPTEMBER 2014For Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THE SEPTEMBER 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn Google + icon

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.