Systems Thinking

Winning hearts and minds

Using 6 “weapons of influence”
July 3, 2012
How often have you come up with a safety idea and found yourself beating your head against the wall trying to get buy-in?

Read More

How to manage Millennials

The most highly praised & coached generation comes to work
June 6, 2012
The workplace is beginning to experience the blending of Millennials with Boomers. Who are these Millennials?

Read More

Home is where the hazards are

So why aren’t employers more concerned?
May 3, 2012
Even though all of us undertake do-it-yourself (DIY) projects around the house, it is profoundly apparent many of us perform these DIY projects in the absence of a safety mindset.

Read More

How to really tick off your boss

Use this checklist before heading to the meeting
April 2, 2012
Safety and health professionals routinely make presentations to their boss, their boss’s boss, and sometimes even the CEO to gain approval for an activity or to beg for funding to initiate a new program or sustain an existing program. Too often we are met with delays, resistance and rejection.

Read More

The Workplace Drama Zone

March 1, 2012
Geez, there he goes again! What a suck-up! She makes my blood boil. It’s not my fault. If those operators would only listen to me, no one would get hurt.

Read More

The workforce numbers game

Miscalculating supply and demand in the EHS field
February 2, 2012
Last month I discussed the current market for occupational safety and health jobs, and how the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health’s (NIOSH) recently released National Assessment of the Occupational Safety and Health Workforce1 miscalculated supply and demand figures.

Read More

The jobs are out there

But EHS soft skills & work ethics can frustrate employers
January 4, 2012
Heading into 2012, occupational safety and health (OSH) jobs are available.

Read More

Are you sure about that?

10 tips to overcome willful blindness
December 5, 2011
How often do you ignore facts staring you in the face because they conflict with your preconceived worldview? 

Read More

Five o’clock fatigue

How a day of decisions drains mental energy
November 1, 2011
Three safety professionals are asked to evaluate their company’s previous year’s 129 incident investigation reports. 

Read More

Forget power & control

Focus on human interactions to resolve safety conflicts
October 1, 2011
I know safety professionals who see their role from a “power and control” perspective as opposed to a “consultative” perspective. 

Read More

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

ASSE's Safety 2013 Review

A photo gallery from the Las Vegas Convention Center, where ASSE’s annual professional development conference was held June 24 to 27. All photos courtesy of the American Society of Safety Engineers.

THE MAGAZINE

ISHN Magazine

ishn april 2014 issue cover

2014 April

In this month's issue of ISHN, check out features about safety in the oil and gas industry.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - January 2014

ISHN0114_FDO_cov.jpgFor Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THEJANUAYR 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.