Safety Culture

Top worker safety training topics

March 4, 2014

Safety Culture- Recognize and correctly use key terms and concepts relating to safety culture. Identify the components of a positive safety culture and rate your own company's effectiveness in each of the component areas. Define the necessary elements of management commitment and support. Understand the importance of well-defined safety roles & responsibilities

Read More

How to develop a culture of safety competency

February 28, 2014

Competence is defined as “the ability of an individual or organization to do a job properly.” Competencies comprise of a set of defined behaviors (i.e. standards) that provide a structured guide enabling the identification, development and evaluation of specific behaviors so people can do their job properly.

Read More

ISHN's search for creative safety

February 25, 2014

Hello to all. ISHN magazine is searching for examples, case studies, of creative safety in action. These are to be short, 500 words or less, anecdotes of safety campaigns, training activities, practices that reduced injuries, practices that increased employee engagement in safety, practices that got senior leaders more engaged in safety.

Read More

Actions showing safety commitment

February 20, 2014

I was going online to publish this week's newsletter when I saw the coolest notice. "Due to dangerous weather conditions, our offices are closed today and we will have limited technical support available. Thank you for understanding."

Read More

Safety excellence- The six critical components

February 18, 2014

Dr. Dan Petersen was one of the great safety pioneers of the last 50 years. His focus was consistently on developing a viable safety culture that lived safety accountabilities at all levels of the organization. Organizations fully utilizing his Six Criteria for Safety Excellence are among the leaders in safety performance. These criteria are:

Read More

Do you overestimate your number of true believers?

February 3, 2014
Just finished reading a fascinating book, “The Men Who Lost America” (Yale University Press, 2013), by Andrew Jackson O’Shaughnessy, a history professor at the University of Virginia.

Read More

20 tips for being a corporate diplomat

February 3, 2014
Essentially all managers know the likelihood of going to jail for safety violations is practically zero.

Read More

Trolling for rule-breaking behavior

But are you missing root causes beneath the surface?
February 3, 2014
Once my sons and I went fishing with a guide on a chilly day in Florida. The fish were not biting because it was so cold, so the guide threw some “chum” into the water (something like candy for fish), to draw them in, so my young sons could score some catches.

Read More

If you don’t have something important to say about safety -- then shut up

January 27, 2014
Years ago I worked security at a power plant. I wasn’t a peace officer, far from it; in fact, I wasn’t even allowed to carry a big flashlight to protect myself.

Read More

From Down Under: A boss’s view of the safety fraternity

January 22, 2014

I am the managing director of Australia's largest safety solutions organisation, the Industrial Foundation for Accident Prevention (IFAP).  We are a wholly self-funded, not for profit organisation which provides services across the broad spectrum of safety-related matters ranging from low level induction style training courses to whole-of-organisation safety culture change programmes.

Read More

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

ASSE's Safety 2013 Review

A photo gallery from the Las Vegas Convention Center, where ASSE’s annual professional development conference was held June 24 to 27. All photos courtesy of the American Society of Safety Engineers.

THE MAGAZINE

ISHN Magazine

ishn april 2014 issue cover

2014 April

In this month's issue of ISHN, check out features about safety in the oil and gas industry.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - January 2014

ISHN0114_FDO_cov.jpgFor Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THEJANUAYR 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.