Covanta Energy Bristol Inc. in Bristol, Conn. Faces $80,100 in fines after an OSHA inspection conducted in response to a complaint.
The agency cited the plant for 16 serious violations of workplace safety and health standards. These included:
- allowing combustible dust to accumulate on ledges, conduits, floors, guardrails, work platforms and catwalks;
- failing to determine employees' exposure level to ash containing toxic metals such as lead, cadmium and arsenic;
- inadequate training and protective clothing for an employee performing testing on live electrical parts;
- inadequate safeguards for employees working in confined spaces;
- lack of an emergency eyewash for employees working with batteries;
- fall, fork truck, air pressure and mechanical hazards.
The facility processes 650 tons per day of solid waste into 16.3 megawatts of renewable energy.