Ohio company cited in electrocution death of worker
A welder died because Metal Shredders of Miamisburg, Ohio failed to protect him from an energized electrical line while he was cutting a metal roof off an industrial transformer substation, according to OSHA, which initiated an investigation at the company’s facility after the worker’s death on Oct. 16, 2014
How it happened
Investigators found that the company failed to verify that electrical lines were absent of voltage after turning off the disconnect switch inside the transformer substation cabinen. The 10-year employee attempted to enter the substation by climbing over a concrete wall and fence on the side of the transformer substation and his foot touched the electrical line, which was still energized, and was electrocuted.
"This was a tragic death that could have been prevented by following basic safety practices for working with high voltage transmission lines," said Ken Montgomery, OSHA Area Director in Cincinnati.
Metal Shredders, a subsidiary of Cohen Brothers was cited for one willful and eight serious safety violations in the wake of the fatality.
Proposed penalties are $115,000.