Chicago roofers exposed to dangerous asbestos hazards
Continental Contractors was cited for 11 serious violations carrying proposed penalties of $21,600. Local Roofing, which had been subcontracted to demolish, remove and replace the building's roofing system, was issued nine serious violations carrying proposed penalties of $48,510.
The companies were cited for failing to:
- Conduct an exposure assessment for asbestos.
- Establish a respiratory protection program.
- Use engineering controls such as a HEPA vacuum and dry sweeping to clean-up material likely to contain asbestos.
- Train workers on asbestos hazards.
- Provide personal protective clothing.
"Asbestos exposure can cause chronic lung disease and cancer. No worker should be exposed to this potentially life-ending substance without being trained and provided protective equipment," said Angeline Loftus, OSHA's area director for the Chicago North office in Des Plaines.