A 58-year-old man was seriously burned and two other men suffered minor injuries in an electrical explosion at a Hauppauge, NY hotel, police said.

According to police, Vincent Papa, the chief engineer at the Hyatt Regency located at 1717 Motor Parkway, was working on an electrical panel when an arc flash occurred at about 4:55 p.m.

Papa suffered second and third degree burns to over 63 percent of his body and was transported to Stony Brook University Hospital. His injuries are considered serious but non-life threatening, police said.

Two other people suffered minor burns. Pablo Merino, 41, sustained burns to his head and hands, and Jose Mortello, 54, suffered burns to his face.

According to OSHA, an arc flash "is a phenomenon where a flashover of electric current leaves its intended path and travels through the air from one conductor to another, or to ground."

Source: Patch News http://patch.com