Cirrus Research helps Costa Rica combat traffic noise pollution
Leading noise monitoring specialist Cirrus Research has just completed a six-figure contract to supply the Costa Rican government with 50 of its Optimus Red sound level meters
The large order of 50 Optimus Reds were recently shipped to the Central American country where they are going to be deployed by the Government's Road Safety Council in a campaign to reduce traffic noise pollution in some of its most built-up cities such as the Capital, San Jose.
The Optimus Red kits had already been used by the Costa Rican police force and proved so popular among the officers for its user-friendly application and reading accuracy that the Road Safety Council followed suit. The project and the kits were even featured on the national news in Costa Rica as part of a story about how officers were trying to tackle traffic noise pollution on the streets.
The Cirrus R&D team was also able to modify the units so the sound level data could be printed out by officers on the spot to show to motorists who were breaking noise pollution levels with their vehicles and bikes.
Cirrus Export Sales Manager, Jonathan Phillips, said: "This was an interesting project to work on and the Optimus Red sound level meters were ideal for both the police and then the Road Safety Council initiatives.
(Pictured above: Costa Rica contract win- Daren Wallis and Jonathan Phillips.)
"Costa Rica perhaps isn't the first country you would think of to have a traffic noise problem but it is reassuring to see that governments globally are now taking this issue seriously and the health impact it can have on its citizens."
The Optimus Red is one of Cirrus' most popular sound level meters thanks to its long list of features and USPs including:
- High Performance to Class 1 or Class 2 Standard
- Class 1 & Class 2 to IEC 61672-1:2013 & IEC 61672-1:2002
- Type Approved to IEC 61672-1:2013 (Class 1 Instruments)
- Type Approved to IEC 61672-1:2002 (Class 1 Instruments)
- Quick, simple and easy to operate
- Measures Fast, Slow & Impulse Time Weightings
- dB(A), dB(C) and dB(Z) Frequency Weightings included
- Real-time 1:1 Octave Band Filters (optional)
- VoiceTagTM voice note recording
- AuditStoreTM measurement verification
- High resolution colour OLED display and back-lit keypad
- Measure up to 140dB(A) and 143dB(C) Peak with a single 120dB measurement range
- Pause & Back Erase as standard
- 4GB memory with the option of expanding upto 32GB
- Long battery life
- Like all Cirrus UK manufactured products, the Optimus Red also comes with a 15 Year "No Quibble" Warranty
Founded in 1970, Cirrus Research plc is a leading specialist in the development and production of noise measurement instruments. Its latest scientific and technological developments are utilised to produce noise measurement instrumentation equipment to accurately measure noise and its impact.
As an industry leader, all its products are manufactured in the UK and are used in a wide range of
different applications within the construction, transport, aviation, manufacturing and leisure & sport sectors.
Cirrus is part of the British Safety Industry Federation's Registered Safety Supplier Scheme, identifying its organisation and products as 'genuine and safe', assuring customers that the products supplied are genuine, properly tested and certificated. Cirrus Research is an ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 14001:2004 Registered Company.
www.cirrusresearch.co.uk Twitter: @cirrusresearch