Safety 2018 conference from American Society of Safety Engineers
One of this year’s highlight: employers are struggling to get ahead of the active shooter problem, and a panel discussion will help safety professionals get prepared. Experts from the Department of Homeland Security, law enforcement, corporate risk management and employee assistance programs will address the topic in a general session titled, “The Before and After Summit: A Safety Professional’s Guide to Prepare For, React to, and Address Workplace Violence Events.”
This year’s conference also promises to make history. More than 100 years in the making, the society’s new name and brand will debut at Safety 2018 with ASSE becoming the American Society of Safety Professionals. Also, the society’s leadership will shift gears as new ASSP President Rixio Medina takes the reins of the world’s oldest professional safety organization in 2018-19.
Safety 2018 features 150+ concurrent session recordings, two optional lunch and learn events, three full days of education, 2.5 days of exposition access, 220+ concurrent sessions, 40 flash sessions, and four general sessions.
What you’ll learn
Here are the general session speakers:
- Polly LaBarre: A Maverick Manual for Success – how to replace rules with values, hack the status quo, embrace and connect with misfits and troublemakers, and make a system-wide impact.
- Mike Walsh: Reinventing Leadership for the Age of Machine Intelligence — While many fear that robots will take their jobs, the rise of machine intelligence begs a more important question: what is the true potential of human intelligence in the 21st century?
- Chris Helder: The Power of Influence... Mastering the Customer Experience —Discover the greatest communication, persuasion and influencing tools that are practical and can be used immediately; gather a list of “1%” behaviors that significantly improve your results; increase your persuasion skills to get others to take action; build relationships that matter in business; and understand the power of coding success and replicating winning behavior.
Concurrent session topics include:
- Situational Leadership
- Construction Safety
- Injury-Free Cultures
- Contractor Management
- Risk Assessment
- NFPA Standard 70E
- Fall Protection
- ISO 45001
- Tips from former OSHA leaders
- Making Safety Stick
- Confined Space Entry
- The Changing Face of the Safety Profession
A Plenary Town Hall follows up on last year’s spirited debate at Safety 2017 in Denver on popular yet controversial Behavior Based Safety. In Part 2, Tom Krause, Scott Geller and Todd Conklin are back to discuss how companies should operationalize all the talk in the prevention of serious injuries and fatalities, joined by executives from Tesla Motors, Cargill and Goodyear.
The Society will honor its Safety Professional of the Year and Outstanding Safety Educator of the Year; present the Award for Innovation in Occupational Safety Management; and bestow its highest distinction of Fellow on an exceptional leader in the occupational safety and health profession.
For the first time, the conference will include a community service networking event, a 5K fun run, and a chance for attendees to practice two-minute “elevator safety pitches” on senior executives.
To register, go to https;//safety.asse.org/registration/