- Discourage the use of hand-held wireless phones by a driver while operating vehicles owned or leased by the government;
- Provide a portable hands-free accessory and/or a hands-free car kit for government-owned wireless phones; and,
- Educate employees on using hands-free wireless phones.
The GSA also offered cellular phone driving safety tips:
- Always keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road;
- Place your phone where it is easy to see and reach. Know how to operate your phone.
- Use a hands-free microphone.
- Use the speed dialing feature.
- When dialing manually without the speed dialing feature, dial only when stopped.
- Never take notes while driving. Use an electronic scratchpad if necessary.
- Let your wireless network's voice mail pick up your calls when it's unsafe to answer the car phone.
- Use 9-1-1 (a free call) to report crimes, emergencies or accidents.
Report Abusive Comment