Man featured in CDC's anti-smoking campaign dies at 54
Nonsmoker's occupational exposure to smoke in casinos led to lung damage
Nathan Moose, who appeared in two videos in the high-profile Tips campaign to get Americans to quit smoking, was a non-smoker who worked for 11 years in a casino that allowed smoking. When he developed asthma and other respiratory problems, tests showed that he had the lungs of a heavy smoker, according to his doctors.
Moose was an Oglala Sioux. In his videos, he mentions that his health problems prevented him from being able to perform the traditional dances he so enjoyed, and being unable to pass them on to young to younger generations.
The CDC’s Tim McAfee called Moose “a valued member of CDC’s Tips family” and said his death was a tragedy.
Inaddition to participating in the Tips campaign, Nathan spoke at Pow-Wows, conferences and schools to make people aware of the dangers of smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke.
“Nathan’s selfless and courageous dedication to ensuring that others would not suffer as he did saved many lives,” said McAfee, director of the CDC’s Office on Smoking and Health. “He was a victim of cigarette smoking, although he never smoked.”
Moose is survived by his wife, five children and three grandchildren.