Psychology

3 Tips for Practicing Mindfulness in a Multitasking Workplace

No Comments

Google, eBay, Intel and General Mills offer classes on it. So do Harvard Business School, Ross School of Business and Claremont Graduate University, among other campuses. Mindfulness is not just a corporate trend, but a proven method for success. Mindfulness – being focused and fully present in the here and now – is good for individuals and good for a business’s bottom line.

Read More

Learn all you can about your safety audience

By John Drebinger Jr.

As I was catching up on the goings on of my friends and family on Facebook, I stumbled on a story of a teacher who truly knows how to communicate with students. First, the teacher made it a part of the job as a communicator to know and understand the audience. We, as safety leaders need to do the same.

Read More

How to retrain your brain & put the adult in charge

No Comments

The human brain is a wonder of the universe, but our understanding of it can seem contradictory, says Steven Jay Fogel, author of the new book, "Your Mind Is What Your Brain Does for a Living.“ On the one hand, we’re often told of those crucial years that our brain develops in childhood, when we’re rapidly progressing in development of our language and other skills, and our preadolescent and teenage years, when our brains undergo a sort of second Big Bang of learning,” says Fogel.

Read More

I would never belong to a group that would have me as a member

The rise of the self-loathing safety professional
By Phil La Duke

Recently I was talking to colleagues on the subject of talking to strangers on airplanes. Like many safety professionals I spend a fair amount of time crammed into an uncomfortable seat, breathing stale air, and having my space invaded by a mouth-breather whose idea of a good trip is chatting up the stranger beside him.

Read More

Cardinal rules – Influencing noncompliance

By Mike Williamsen Ph.D., CSP

Our personal risk tolerance is directly influenced by the severity of the outcome. If there is a high cost associated with a risk, we are more prone to comply with the rules set in place. While writing this post, I am reminded of today’s airline industry.

Read More

Checklist success: You don't want a pile of identical photocompies

By Timothy Ludwig Ph.D.
One Comment
The simple checklist has gotten a lot of press recently.

Read More

Workplace changes can increase productivity, but…

No Comments

Want to improve productivity by motivating workers, or maybe improving the look of their workzone? A new study showed some "small but significant" effects on work-related outcomes -- but with a twist.

Read More

Having fun with a serious subject

By John Drebinger Jr.

One of the best ways to make your point is by using humor. As you know, you will more likely listen to a creative and fun airline safety announcement than the same old tired message. For years, I have been sharing the message that people need to use the handrail whenever they are using the stairs.

Read More

What you need to prove your wellness program’s ROI

No Comments

You don't have to be told that workplace wellness managers are responsible for developing program offerings that result in lasting behavior change. Without behavior change that ‘sticks’ and becomes a habit for your participant, you can’t adequately prove the return-on-investment (ROI) of your organization’s wellness program.

Read More

Voluntary actions- Being in control

By Mike Williamsen Ph.D., CSP

We all engage in activities outside of work that have risks. In our personal lives, it is normal for our risk tolerance to increase; however, with increased risk comes increased probability of injury. A recent National Safety Council (NSC) report revealed that about 70% of all medical case injuries occur off the job, along with about 90% of fatal injuries.

Read More

STAY CONNECTED

Facebook logo Twitter YouTubeLinkedIn Google + icon

Multimedia

Videos

Image Galleries

ASSE Safety 2014 Review

A gallery of photos from the sprawling Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, where ASSE’s annual professional development conference was held June 8-11. All photos courtesy of the American Society of Safety Engineers.

9/9/14 2:00 pm EDT

Welding: It doesn't have to be a grind. The latest in respiratory protection and PPE for welders and grinder

Attendees of this webinar will gain knowledge of hazards and appropriate PPE for welding applications, regulatory drivers that are changing the landscape of PPE within welding applications and the latest product technologies being offered in welding PPE.

ISHN Magazine

ISHN_0814cov.jpg

2014 August

Check out ISHN's August issue which features content about pain prevention, forklift operation safety and a preview of the National Safety Congress and Expo.

Table Of Contents Subscribe

THE ISHN STORE

M:\General Shared\__AEC Store Katie Z\AEC Store\Images\ISHN\safetyfourth.jpg
Safety Engineering, 4th Edition

A practical, solutions-driven reference, Safety Engineering, 4th edition, has been completely revised and updated to reflect many of today’s issues in safety.

More Products

For Distributors Only - May 2014

ISHN0514FDO_cover.jpgFor Distributors Only is ISHN's niche brand standard-sized magazine supplement aimed at an audience of 2,000 U.S. distributors that sell safety products. Circulation only goes to distributors. CHECK OUT THEMAY 2014 ISSUE OF FDO HERE

ishn infographics

2012 US workplace deathsCheck out ISHN's new Infographic page! Learn more about worker safety through these interactive images. CLICK HERE to view the page.